Whether you're stuck now in the rash of American Airlines cancellations or plan to travel this summer, chances are good that you'll be stuck at some point.
We've published tips for coping before, but you might not have needed them then. So here they are again:
- Call ahead to double-check on your flight.
- Register your cell number with your airline.
- Bring a cellphone, and keep your airline and/or travel agent's phone number handy. You can usually call ahead to rebook.
- Have the phone numbers of people you are meeting, hotels where you're staying and car rental agencies, so you can advise them of changes.
- Book hotels that allow you to cancel. Some online services have 24-hour cancellation policies and will charge you for the first night regardless of the reason for delay.
- Build in an an extra day between your flight arrival and the departure of your cruise or tour for travel insurance. Compare policies at www.insuremytrip.com.
- Keep toys and extra diapers handy.
- Bring snacks. Airlines rarely offer meals anymore, and airport offerings can be limited at best.