Monday, January 07, 2008

Back from the snowy north


One of the questions I'm asked most frequently is where I go on vacation. After all, if you travel the globe for work, people might rightly figure that when I'm not working, I might stay home.

No way.

Many travel editors do stay home when they've got time off, but I'm not one of them.

Last year, The Husband and I headed to Cameroon, in West Africa. It was a fascinating but in many ways grueling trip...limited food (we're talking Laughing Cow cheese for lunch, every day), AK47-toting guards along the muddy lanes that pass for highways, and bribe-demanding officials throughout the airport.


This year we opted to stick closer to home, spending our days reading, eating, sleeping and tromping through the snow drifts in Maine, Quebec City and Vermont. We slipped down the toboggan run in front of Quebec's Chateau Frontenac, chowed on pork at Buck's Naked BBQ in Freeport, Maine (home of the 24/7 L.L. Bean store) and went snowshoeing through the virgin powder in Greensboro, Vt.

I wouldn't want to live in snow, but it surely was nice to visit it.

A few scenes:








No comments: