Monday, June 05, 2006

What to do on a day at sea


I usually find days at sea boring...unless I'm engrossed in a great read. Here, there's so much to do that I can't keep up with it all.

Mini-golf, rock-climbing, the fun kids pool featuring bright Botero-esque sculptural waterspouts (left), Bingo, the art auction that seems inescapable on nearly every cruise ship, the much-talked-about Flowrider....

I'm determined to lose weight...or at least not gain any on this cruise. So part of my day has been spent trying to lose weight: Yoga ($10) in the morning, then a fitness lecture (free), then a consultation session with a fitness expert ($33).

My take: The fitness lecture and consultation were both interesting, but they were also sales pitches. That's often the case, I've found, with onboard programs run by the Steiner company, which runs spa and fitness centers on most cruise lines. The lecture was a teaser on how to detox, the consultation also stressed the value of the detox program ... a series of pills that costs about $100 per month for a minimum of three months. I think I'm going to talk with my doctor before I invest.

I'm still undecided about the $150 accupuncture session oriented to weight-loss. Could help with indigestion, I'm told.

My personal plan: Work out at least once a day (aiming for twice, but hey, it's a pretty day out). Walk and take the stairs instead of the elevator (I've only cheated once so far.) Eat the healthy stuff (I did use the lecture on having 40 percent carbs in the diet as an excuse for a slice of pizza, but I learned in the consultation that it's not THAT kind of carbs I'm supposed to have. Oh well.) Avoid alcohol (now, that's painful; there's a wine bar on board.)

This evening: The ice-skating show. Tomorrow: A steamlodge excursion in Cozumel, followed by a one-on-one boxing lesson in the first boxing ring at sea. And Wednesday, just maybe, I'll try the Flowrider.

No comments: