Monday, August 28, 2006

Navigation

A couple of you have asked about navigation. I'm using a combo method which works fairly well.

At night, when I find out where I'm going, I check AAA and Rand McNally websites for general directions.

In the car, I have a Rand McNally Atlas PLUS two GPS devices that I'm testing. One is by Garmin and one is by Rand McNally. I'm not supposed to release details on this for a bit, but let me say that both have some great features, and having a GPS has been invaluable in cities where I don't have great city maps. The GPS units sometimes take you in weird ways, and I've gotten lost twice, but I think that was operator error.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane, I think they need a GPS on the web site. It won't let me vote for you to go north...nothing happens when I click on "vote here"

Anonymous said...

Jane, Haven't heard much about the places you're eating. Are the fast food places as common on Route 66 as they are elsewhere in the country? Or are the truck stops the best place for comfort food?

DARCOS CRUZ said...

Anonymous: The North vote closed on Aug. 28...so that window no longer appears. But a window should come up telling you that. Sometimes it doesn't if you don't have the latest version of Flash, or if you have your "pop ups'' blocked....I'll let Stephanie the wonder programmer know, but this was what she figured out before.

Debbie, I've written about the food when it's notable. Route 66 here is often hard to follow, and except in towns it often doesn't have any commerce on it. I'm trying NOT to put on 200 pounds on this trip, so I'm saving the calories for the big hits. Options have often been limited to chains like Ruby Tuesday (decent salad bar) but whenever possible I try to eat local. The most notable meal of the last several days was the ribs in Memphis....