Thursday, August 31, 2006

On the Prairie

One of the worst things about traveling alone is getting sick.

I’m typically a hale sort, and I’ve gotten sick only a few times on my solo travels.

The first was in Vietnam, a dozen years ago. Whether it was flu or food poisoning I never knew, but I canceled my onward flight and called my future husband. If I died, I wanted somebody to tell my mother where they’d buried my body.

The next time was in Las Vegas, and despite the party atmosphere, I can promise you this really was food poisoning. The drive to the Grand Canyon the next day wasn't much fun, but at least my stomach settled before I had saddled up for the all-day mule ride.

Today’s bout I’m blaming on TMB – too much barbecue – and TMD – too much driving. At times like this, you've just got to crash, and I spent a goodly bit of today in bed. Thankfully, it was in a cozy B&B, Cottage House, in the friendly town of Council Grove, Kansas, once a stop on the Santa Fe Trail. I can’t think of a better place to hole up for a day.

I did make it out to the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve, but that story will need to wait for a day or two. It’s back to bed for me. Meanwhile, here are a few photos:




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering when you'd get a day to rest. You can truly get "cabin fever" in a car and your body probably feels like it's been walking to Seattle with all the sightseeing you've been doing. I always schedule a vacation (a few days in bed) after a road-trip. Take care!